- Denton County Justice of the Peace, Pct. 1, 2007-2022
- Presided over 35,662 civil & criminal cases; seated 238 juries
Like a Council member, a J.P. must listen closely to information brought to him and carefully weigh considerations involving multiple interests before making decisions. Council members are charged with setting City policy, and good policy begins with clear facts, information and understanding of the issues.
- Denton Bicycle Center, founder & owner, 1971-present
My 50+ years as owner of a successful business demonstrate that I understand budgeting, prioritization of expenditures, ongoing facility maintenance, and business growth considerations, all matters about which Council regularly makes decisions.
I will bring my business expertise to bear on these same issues in City governance. The dollar amounts are different, but the principles are the same.
- Private real estate investor; self-manages all properties
As an owner of both residential and commercial property for many years, I have a solid, working knowledge of many City of Denton development-related matters, including code requirements, City zoning issues, and the Certificate of Occupancy and inspection process. This experience enables me to identify issues and solutions quickly when deliberating on a wide range of real estate and development issues.
- City of Denton: Zoning Board of Adjustment, Bond Committee and Bond Oversight Committee
- Denton Citizen Police Academy, inaugural class
- Kiwanis Club
- Denton Breakfast Kiwanis Club, 44 years
- Division 8, Lieutenant Governor, two terms
- Sponsor, Key Club, Denton High School, 30 years
- Texas Justice Court Training Center, Texas State University-San Marcos
- Denton High School
- Married for 44 years; two sons and two grandsons
- St. David of Wales Episcopal Church, member, 40 years
- The Big Chill classic rock band, 1988-2005, 2023
- Leader, vocals and bass guitar